Halal is an Arabic word based on the religion of Islam. Halal means permissible as well as law that is in the interest of society. When the term is used in connection with food, it means that this product is permissible for Muslims.The HALAL standard (HALAL) has been approved by a number of standard experts of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) and by the Technical Committee for Standards and the Institute of Measurement of Islamic Countries (SMIIC) on issues related to halal food. This refers to the common laws and beliefs of Islam, regardless of changes in different countries.
This certificate contains the essentials that are required at each stage of the food chain, including:
- Preparation and production
- the mark
Examines the storage and delivery of halal food as well as the inspection of products in accordance with Islamic law.
All requirements of this certification can be reviewed and enforced for all organizations in any food chain, regardless of size and complexity. This certification covers all organizations that are directly involved in one or more stages of the food production chain.All requirements of this certification can be reviewed and enforced for all organizations in any food chain, regardless of size and complexity. This certification covers all organizations that are directly involved in one or more stages of the food production chain. Therefore, quality standards including food safety and traceability (to guarantee the claim) should be a prerequisite for obtaining the ISO standard.
Halal food is one of the most important needs of every Muslim. The halal certificate confirms that the materials used in each product are Islamic halal and the product does not contain any haram substances. Prevents the supply, distribution and sale of halal products.Halal products and services are international and suitable for all people, whether Muslim or non-Muslim. Halal is a business plan that is considered as a power in the global market.
The halal industry is divided into two categories:
1-Products: foodstuffs, cosmetics and health products
2-Services: catering and hotel and related activities
The following products and services are halal certified:
- Meat and meat products
The following are considered halal animals:
- Pets such as cows, buffaloes, sheep, goats, camels, chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys
- Non-hunting wild animals such as deer and wild cattle
- Non-farmed birds such as pigeons, sparrows, quails and ostriches
The following are considered non-solvent animals:
- Pigs, dogs and their offspring
- Animals that are not slaughtered in the name of God
- Animals that are not killed according to Islamic law
- Animals that kill themselves
- Animals with teeth that are used or defended for violence, such as bears, elephants, monkeys, wolves, lions, tigers, cats, jackals, foxes, squirrels, snakes, bears and crocodiles, and so on.
- Wild birds with sharp claws, eagles, crows and owls
- Poisonous and vermin animals such as scorpions, snakes, bees, mice and other similar animal
- Spiral animals, such as lizards, snails, insects and other similar animals
- Animals that are forbidden to be killed in Islam, such as donkeys
Not every element derived from non-halal animals is halal:
- Milk and dairy products
Food additives such as diet and gelatin should not be made from non-solvent products
- Eggs and related products
- Vegetable and animal oils and fats
- Fruits and vegetables and related products
- Sugar and confectionery products
- Types of water and non-alcoholic beverages:
_Except in cases that are toxic or harmful to health
_All products or beverages containing alcohol are prohibited under Islamic law, even for the purpose of cooking or making candy.
_Dietary supplements such as pigments, preservatives, etc. used in beverages should not be made from non-food and non-solvent materials.
- Honey and its products
- Genetically modified food (GMF):
_Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) or GMO-containing materials or products should not be made using non-solvent genetic materials. GMFs are produced by transferring genes from other living species to plant, animal, and microbiological sources using genetic modification technologies, and changes in the DNA of food are used to produce solvent food.
- Food additives (food additives such as preservatives used in meat and meat products should not contain non-solvent substances)
- Enzymes used as raw materials, processing aids or end products must be processed from solvent sources and listed on the label.
- Microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, and yeast are soluble except those that are toxic or dangerous to human health. Microorganisms used in food production must be produced using a buffer medium. Yeast extract or other products derived from them should not be made from brewer’s yeast.
- Packing material:
Packaging materials should not be processed from any non-solvent material-
_In the preparation, processing or production of packaging materials should not be used equipment that is contaminated with non-solvent materials
_During preparation, processing, storage or transportation, it must be physically separated from any other food, or other non-solvent material
_Packaging materials should not contain substances that are dangerous to human health-
- Fish and fish products
Services and facilities:
All food services and facilities are permitted if you meet the following conditions:
- Used only for products and product groups and materials that are solvent
- If you use tools and equipment used in the production and sale of products, use only for halal foods*
- Under no circumstances are you allowed to produce alcoholic beverages
All processed foods are halal if they meet the following conditions:
- Products or ingredients include sources that are defined by halal Islamic law
- There should be no item in the products that is defined as illegal by Islamic law
- The product or its ingredients do not need to be harmful to health
- Product preparation, processing or production should not be done using equipment and facilities contaminated with non-solvent materials.
- During the preparation, processing, packaging, storage or transportation stages, the solvent must be physically separated from any non-solvent food.
machinery ; production lines
- Machines and containers of production lines used for processing halal food have been used to produce non-halal materials and are used only for halal food.
- If the contaminated production line is converted by any non-solvent product to a solvent
- production line, that production line must be disinfected and cleaned according to health rules. After conversion, the product line is for halal foods only. Repetition is not allowed in non-solvent conversion and return to solvent line.
- Oils used in the maintenance of machines and devices that come into direct contact with food, nothing else is solvent.
- Measurement and testing of devices that were used in the production process and affected the quality of the product or their health should be calibrated.
Storage, service and transportation
- All halal foods that are stored and sold must be categorized during transportation and labeled as halal products to be halal at any stage of mixing or contamination with other substances.
- Shipping must be consistent with the nature of the product. Transport vehicles must meet the desired health requirements.
Hygiene and consumption of halal food
- Health and safety are very much needed in preparing halal foods
- The preparation, processing, packaging, transportation and storage of halal food must comply with the Codex CAC / RCP hygienic requirements and other relevant treaties and other international standards.
- Chemicals and substances used in food must be hygienically appropriate.
- All consumables must be applied.
Halal logo advantages:
- Confidence: Gives confidence to Muslim consumers.
- Qualification: Confirms that the products are halal and that there is a system for feeding halal food.
- Labeling: Informs all consumers in the world
- Product development, special market position: Created a proposed advantage over other companies.
- Quality: indicates that the product not only follows the rules of solvent but also strictly hygienic methods.
- International character: Halal certification becomes a type of symbol of trust or product identity at the international level.